Flourless Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Recipe from Donna Hay
1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (125ml) sunflower oil
3½ cups (440g) almond meal (ground almonds)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
400g carrots, (grated)
1 cup (75g) shredded coconut
½ cup (70g) roasted slivered almonds
½ cup (80g) currants
cream cheese icing
250g cream cheese, chopped
⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar mixture, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) and line the base of a lightly greased 24cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
2. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume.
3. Place the oil, almond meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, carrot, coconut, almonds and currants in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
4. Fold through the egg mixture and spoon into the tin. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes – 1 hour 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool completely in the tin before refrigerating for 2–3 hours or until firm.
6. To make the cream cheese icing, place the cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the lemon juice and beat for a further 1 minute or until smooth. Run a small knife around the edge of the cake and remove from the tin.
7. Spread icing on cooled cake to serve.
This cake is so yummy, it won’t last long!xxx